Warm Cookies With A Whiskey Chaser

The Perfect Mix of Comfort and Shenanigans



Blogroll Me!
100 Things About Me
Tinmen Don't Dance
Humble Sandwich
A Son from Another Mother; Matt
Auburn Pisces
Splenda In The Grass
the bokey chronicles
Jeffrey Ricker
TunaGirl
Rocket Man
The Beauty of All Things
GuruStu
No Milk Please
A Life In The Day
Shadow Footprints
Scott B Blog
Seth Hancock Photography
Frogma
MzOuiser
Famous Author Rob Byrnes
Watersea's Ocean Bloggie
Cheap Blue Guitar
Does This Mean I'm A Grownup?
Upside Down Hippo
NoFo
Loose Ends

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Ahh....Paris!


::sigh:: Oui. It is hard to get back to "real life" after a whirlwind surprise trip to Paris. But I will try.

We were actually planning to steal away to San Diego to spend the weekend with my sister and brother-in-law. But unfortunately, I got a call on Friday morning that poor Lokelani was very ill. She still wanted us to come, but she sounded so sick that I knew if we did go, she would try to play hostess instead of rest as she should. So I told her to get her butt to bed and we would make a plan to see them in a couple weeks.

So now what? I had traded shifts at work with Caris so that I would have a weekend to spend with Charlie. We were both off on Monday. Our bags were packed. God knows, my poor husband has been under the project deadline gun for months now. The kids said that while I was in Hawai'i last week, he was a complete stressed out zombie, working crazy-ass hours to meet his deadline. Now, as of Thursday, his project was done (with great success I might add), his boss was happy, and he was looking forward to a weekend away with Phil and Loke, which is our favorite thing to do with our favorite people. But that was not to be.

Late Friday afternoon, he called me at the store. "Wanna go somewhere anyway?"

Me: Sure. Where?

He: Paris.

Me: Huh?

He: Paris, Vegas.

Me: I love it when you're like this.

He: I guess that's a yes?

Me: Oui! C'est bon!

The look of surprise on Caris and Bryson's faces when we got home and told them that San Diego was off and Las Vegas was in was priceless. Once the shock wore off, Caris smiled and said; "Have fun you crazy kids. Why don't you go get married while you're there?" I laughed and responded; "Sweetie, after 29 years and the three of you, I think we're about as married as we're ever gonna get. Besides, the idea of having my vows renewed by Elvis just doesn't smack of romance to me." "Yeah" she said. "I guess you're okay." So, we threw our bags into the trunk and off we went.

I wish it were that easy. Apparantly everyone in SoCal was "spontaneous" too, and so what would normally be a four hour drive from home took us six. Still, other than that it was FREEZING in the high desert, there was no complaining. We were giddy, like two dating kids and laughed, sang, and giggled our way to Nevada. We actually got asked more than once if we were on our honeymoon. "We're always on our honeymoon." responded Charlie with a smile.

Three days alone. Well, alone with a billion other people. But they were invisible as far as we were concerned. Vegas hasn't always been my idea of romantic. But honestly, anywhere with Charlie is heaven to me. And every day is Valentine's Day. Even without Elvis.

Love you Chooch.