Warm Cookies With A Whiskey Chaser

The Perfect Mix of Comfort and Shenanigans



Blogroll Me!
100 Things About Me
Tinmen Don't Dance
Humble Sandwich
A Son from Another Mother; Matt
Auburn Pisces
Splenda In The Grass
the bokey chronicles
Jeffrey Ricker
TunaGirl
Rocket Man
The Beauty of All Things
GuruStu
No Milk Please
A Life In The Day
Shadow Footprints
Scott B Blog
Seth Hancock Photography
Frogma
MzOuiser
Famous Author Rob Byrnes
Watersea's Ocean Bloggie
Cheap Blue Guitar
Does This Mean I'm A Grownup?
Upside Down Hippo
NoFo
Loose Ends

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Monday Sucked...but Tuesday is Magical

Yesterday is now on my list of all-time sucky days. From sunrise to sundown. It was a long weekend since we couldn't bring the puppy home. They hadn't yet gotten around to spaying her, so another few days would go by before we could have her. That being said, it was a little "mopey" around the house this weekend. Of course, everyone made the best of it and tried to keep busy so as not to think too much. We made it through.

On Monday, Bryson wakes with a burning sore throat, drippy nose, fever, and you know the rest. No school for Bry, and I have to work. Caris has a 7 am set call for a Universal pilot, and I have to work. I made sure Bryson was comfortable with lots of juices, water, kleenex, and my phone number. I made sure Caris had everything she needed for the set; wardrobe, backpack, schoolwork, permits, a packed snack, and my phone number. Then I dropped Caris off at her friend Taryn's house. Taryn does background/atmosphere work, so Taryn's mom is taking both girls. This will be the first time that I won't be going with Caris to a job. I don't like it. I'm not happy. But I don't have a choice. I tell myself to keep my smile; at least I had options and she didn't have to turn down the job. At least I have a job to go to. At least Bryson only has a cold. I "at least" myself all the way to work.

It didn't help that the big lawyer boss was on a rampage. He was mad about everything and everyone around him could feel it. The sense of intimidation was a bit overwhelming. It didn't help that the staff accountant hates me. Why? I have no clue. But from my very first day I haven't done a thing right where she's concerned. I staple her papers on a diagonal at the top corner, she likes it strictly horizontal. I used big paperclips on her mail, she likes small paperclips. YES, she does come and tell me these things and always with the opening line; "I know this sounds petty, but....." Yeah, it's petty alright and I bet you don't get laid much do ya? I know I shouldn't let her get to me and I'm doing my best to kill her with kindness. I just say I'm sorry and I won't make the same mistakes again now that she's set me straight. I can only say that I was relieved I had tons of filing that I could keep my nose in. Everyone else had to run around and try to make the big boss happy, including anal retentive staff accountant woman. It was one of those days I was happy to just be the file girl. For five very long hours, I filed. And I couldn't have been happier to walk out the door at 2:00.

I thought things would be looking up, but I couldn't stop thinking about Bryson, Caris, and the puppy. I got home and Bryson seemed better, but not much. I got a call from Caris, she was finished with shooting, but she had to stay and finish her three hours of required schoolwork with the studio teacher. This meant that they would be stuck in traffic and might not be home for a few hours. The next call was the Monday Sucks dealmaker. The animal hospital called; Shanny's ashes were ready to be picked up. I'd had enough. I was starting to sink into the all too familiar abyss.

I walked into the living room and sat down on the couch. I just sat there for a minute, looking around and surveying the situation. And then I looked up at the mantle and saw the beautiful flowers that Wonderful Wayne sent last week while the pain was still fresh. This sweet gesture SO blew me and Charlie away that I called and blubbered on Wayne's voicemail like an idiot. But I think he got the message of how touched we were and how much we appreciate him. Right next to the flowers, my favorite picture of Shanny, in a frame that Averie had lovingly made at her work. Complete with Shanny's very own little painted pawprint in the corner. I just kept thinking that though today might have been a very bad day, tomorrow was coming. And tomorrow, a brand new world was going to open up for us. Love is love, and we got plenty of it. In spite of bad days.

Monday sucked...but Tuesday is puppy day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home