Warm Cookies With A Whiskey Chaser

The Perfect Mix of Comfort and Shenanigans



Blogroll Me!
100 Things About Me
Tinmen Don't Dance
Humble Sandwich
A Son from Another Mother; Matt
Auburn Pisces
Splenda In The Grass
the bokey chronicles
Jeffrey Ricker
TunaGirl
Rocket Man
The Beauty of All Things
GuruStu
No Milk Please
A Life In The Day
Shadow Footprints
Scott B Blog
Seth Hancock Photography
Frogma
MzOuiser
Famous Author Rob Byrnes
Watersea's Ocean Bloggie
Cheap Blue Guitar
Does This Mean I'm A Grownup?
Upside Down Hippo
NoFo
Loose Ends

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Live Strong, Live Lazy, Live Happy

I felt kinda bad for Averie yesterday. She had to work on her birthday. Granted, I did too, but you really shouldn't have to work on your 19th birthday. You just shouldn't. Her boss didn't seem to care, and in fact hasn't treated Averie very kindly. She keeps bringing in family members to work who steal from her, treat customers poorly, hog all the tips, and take the prime hours. Last week, they cut Averie's hours from 19 to 7. You can't make a car insurance payment on 7 hours a week. Being the sweet girl that she is, she continues to work, smile on her face, and give back more than she's receiving. She has a great work ethic and I have to say, I'm proud of her. She's putting up with a lot more crap than I would.

About an hour into her shift, she called me:

She: Hi Mommy!

Me: Hey Aves. How's it going?

She: It's ok. Really dead in here, so I'm paining one of the reject pieces that can't be sold. We'll use it for a display. Guess what I just heard on the radio?

Me: I dunno. What?

She: Today is Lance Armstrong's birthday too. That means we're "friends!"

Me: Oh yeah? I wonder if "your friend" Lance is working on HIS birthday.

She: (laughing) Probably not. But it is kinda cool isn't it? I mean, I'm wearing one of his yellow "Live Strong" bracelets and here it is, OUR birthday.

Me: Hmmm. I wonder if he's wearing a purple Averie bracelet in your honor?

She: (giggle) What would it say on it..."Live Lazy?" I a'int no Lance.

Me: (laughing) You're a goofball.

She: I gotta go...customers.

Me: Bye Sweetie. Happy Birthday.

I thought, since she had to work, I'd go and bring her a few things to make it a little better for her. So Caris and I went to Starbuck's and got her favorite Frappucino (Java Chip) and a miniature chocolate blackout cake. Then we went to the party store and got her some purple balloons, a musical candleholder for the cake; a little tiny one that plays "Happy Birthday to You," and a button that says, "It's my Birthday!" Charlie and I had already given her her present; two tickets to "Hairspray" at the Orange County Performing Arts Center in October. A nice present for sure, but since she had to work, it kinda took the party mood out of it. I figured I would take a little party to her.

When we got there, there was only one couple at a table painting. Averie was sitting in the back of the store painting and her co-worker Amber was sitting with her. When she saw us walk in with the balloon bouquet and goodies, she smiled a huge smile and got up to greet us. She invited us to stay awhile since it wasn't really busy. Caris decided to pick out a piece to paint and so we sat and visited with them.

While we were there, the store owner called to check on things and spoke with Amber. Averie told Amber that when she was done, she'd like to speak with the owner because she wanted to let her know what her school and drama rehearsal schedule was for the following week. She was thinking that if she let her know early, the lady might give her more hours. Instead, after a short conversation, Averie hung up the phone, and hid her face from me. I could tell she was crying:

Me: Ave, what happened?

She: She's so mean to me.

Me: What did she say?

She: I told her that I could take a couple of closings next week and she basically talked to me like I was a child and "reprimanded" me. She says that I can't keep changing my hours. I wasn't the one who changed my hours...SHE DID. She's the one who took all my hours away from me to give to her stupid niece who is worthless.

Me: Averie, you don't have to keep this job you know. Daddy and I have already told you that you don't deserve to be treated the way they treat you, and you have our blessing to leave.

She: I don't want to quit when I haven't lined up another job yet.

Me: Does that woman even KNOW it's your birthday? I have half a mind to call her back and remind her that she's making you work on your birthday and making you cry. Please don't be sad, Honey. She's not worth it. This job isn't worth it. You can find another job.

She: I know...I just don't understand why she has to be such a bitch to me.

Me: Think Karma Aves.

She: She's lucky I stay.

Me: No kidding. You're the best artist she has.

She: (smiling) No I'm not.

Me: I say you are. Now eat your birthday cake and drink your Java Chip, or I will.

She: Thanks Mommy. For everything.

Caris finished painting her piece, we gave Averie hugs, and left the store. On the way out, I said to Caris; "You see? These are the times it's really difficult for me to remember that I have to let you guys fight your own battles. I wanna get up in that lady's dish for hurting your sister. But I know I have to step back because...she's an adult now." Caris smiled a knowing smile and said; "I know Mommy. I know."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home