Warm Cookies With A Whiskey Chaser

The Perfect Mix of Comfort and Shenanigans



Blogroll Me!
100 Things About Me
Tinmen Don't Dance
Humble Sandwich
A Son from Another Mother; Matt
Auburn Pisces
Splenda In The Grass
the bokey chronicles
Jeffrey Ricker
TunaGirl
Rocket Man
The Beauty of All Things
GuruStu
No Milk Please
A Life In The Day
Shadow Footprints
Scott B Blog
Seth Hancock Photography
Frogma
MzOuiser
Famous Author Rob Byrnes
Watersea's Ocean Bloggie
Cheap Blue Guitar
Does This Mean I'm A Grownup?
Upside Down Hippo
NoFo
Loose Ends

Friday, May 22, 2020

A New Lifeline

"If you love deeply, you're going to get hurt badly. But it's still worth it." - C. S. Lewis


I've taken the leap away from FB on social media in the past.  But I never got rid of the icon or uninstalled the app on my phone before. I've also never made "the big announcement" on those occasions that I "tried" to leave either.  So this is new territory, and I have to admit I'm so happy to have this place to run to.  It's like an old friend. It's always here. It doesn't judge me. Well, ok. It has judged me when I've stepped over the boundaries and tried to pretend I knew how to write code or maybe spruce things up. So I stopped doing that. I know my blog designer is out there somewhere. Occasionally peaking in to see if I'm still here mucking about (Hi Matt!).

So here we are. I'm having a really rough time. Nothing new, and nothing that won't transpire again. Again, I'm brokenhearted over things I really have no control over other than to re-evaluate and take that shitty self-inventory of where I may be at fault or have some accountability. I shrug my shoulders as I say that, like a petulant teenager who says "whatever" as they walk away. But the reality is that I don't really know where I went wrong. Actually, it goes back to a trust issue. I trusted too easily again and I let my guard down. If I ever had a guard. Charlie and the kids always tell me that I'm too trusting and I give away parts of myself too easily. It's a downfall. It's that damned tender heart.

Anyway, I walked away. Again. But hopefully this time for a long enough time to let some healing happen in a more permanent way. The wisdom of Epictetus tells us that it's not what happens to us but how we react that matters. I'm SO horrible at taking in wisdom and actually applying it to my life. I'm emotional and I react hastily. A character flaw that I am not proud of, and one that has NEVER brought me any kind of resolution that was satisfactory. It's puzzling to me that after all these years, I still can't seem to put this into practice. However, I think this time, for me anyway, things might actually change. I'm really going to try my hardest.

I'm in a pain right now that is mind-numbing and excruciating.  But that doesn't mean I have to take people down with me. That doesn't mean I have to lash out at those I feel have hurt me. Nothing will change from that. Nothing will be made better. Most importantly, that won't heal my hurt. I really need to come to the realization that things that are important to ME, aren't necessarily important to anyone else.

In that respect, I'm about to use this safety zone of mine for a teaching tool for myself.  Not as a mother. Not as a wife. But as Pua; the almost 60 year old woman who can hopefully, even at this late stage, find some way to grow from it. I have walked from FB. I've decided that even texting is something I hope to do less of.  If I have time to text, I have time to call. If I have time to complain, I have time to lift up. I will email less, and use stationery and a stamp more, even though I think I'm already someone who is damn good at that. I will pick up a book instead of watch tv. I will start writing again. I will TRY to complain less about things that no one really cares about...mostly because it didn't happen to them. So I won't burden them with my woes.  I'm coming here. I will run here. I will allow myself to do that here. Because this is mine. As long as this blog exists, it is mine.

Last night, I opened a book for the first time in a long time.  Last night, I listened to a meditation session.  Last night, I fell asleep without any "assistance". That is another thing that hasn't happened in awhile.  Hopefully I can maintain this method of self-help.

I can't change what is happening in the world, other than to do my part.  I can't change how people feel about what is happening in the world. I can't change anything about anyone but myself. I have to accept that I may never get the kind of reciprocity or acknowledgement that I hope for.  Change always beings with the person in the mirror.  As they say; better late than never.

A new journey begins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home