Warm Cookies With A Whiskey Chaser

The Perfect Mix of Comfort and Shenanigans



Blogroll Me!
100 Things About Me
Tinmen Don't Dance
Humble Sandwich
A Son from Another Mother; Matt
Auburn Pisces
Splenda In The Grass
the bokey chronicles
Jeffrey Ricker
TunaGirl
Rocket Man
The Beauty of All Things
GuruStu
No Milk Please
A Life In The Day
Shadow Footprints
Scott B Blog
Seth Hancock Photography
Frogma
MzOuiser
Famous Author Rob Byrnes
Watersea's Ocean Bloggie
Cheap Blue Guitar
Does This Mean I'm A Grownup?
Upside Down Hippo
NoFo
Loose Ends

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Seventeen


When I started WCw/WC, Averie was 17 years old.  Today it's WCw/WC's 17th birthday.  My blog is the same age that my first child was when I started it.  That puts Caris at 15, and The Grommet at 13.

In case you can't read between the lines, this blog was the survival journal and coping strategy for wading the waters of parenting teenagers.  It gave me a place to sort out, vent, and ultimately share to wonder of raising humans into adulthood in a, let's face it, fucked up world.

We made it.  All of us.  We made it to an even more fucked up world.  But hey, I'm gonna say this about that.  My kids may have cringed a lot over the past 17 years of my blabbing about their worlds. That's ok.  I lived.  They lived.  If there was embarrassment, we worked through it.  I'm proud of the work I've done.  Not only as a mother, but as a war-time correspondent from the front lines.  Sometimes, it felt that way.  But mostly, it was magical.  I look back on these pages with pride, humility, and more than anything, a great sense of wonder that I was lucky enough to call these amazing human beings my offspring.  And even more than that, that I had the presence of mind 17 years ago to write it all down.

It still amazes me.  All of it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

Coming to this more than a month late, but that doesn't make my congratulations any less sincere! It's amazing to think this blog has been around so long, and started at such an important, perhaps fragile time. I am so grateful for it, and you, my friend. I met you, Avery and Caris in 2009, then got to meet Charlie and the Grommet (do we need to maintain his anonymity still?) in...I think it was 2014? So the family I've seen, admittedly only in tiny, tantalizing snapshots, has been solid, loving, and filled with some of the most grounded people I've ever met. I know you all deserve credit for creating that bond, and those individual lives/personalities, but the parents definitely deserve a big heap of it for creating an environment where such things could happen. Much love to you all

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Matt Emerson said...

Not only did you do it, but you did it well, and shared with us the ups and downs along the way. Enjoy the wonder of it :)

7:21 AM  
Blogger Puamakana said...

Patrick: Thank you. It doesn't matter when you visited. You visited and that means a lot to me. I'm going to be spending a lot more time here because I've left Facebook. So I hope that you will visit more. I love you, and I miss you. I hope that one day we will get the chance to sit in each other's presence again.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Puamakana said...

Matt: Again, this blog is about to become my salvation. Facebook is so full of toxicity and I have literally run away from it. So, thank you yet again, for helping me to make this blog a soft place to land...for myself!

Your magic has made me love this blog. I remember during a long lapse, I thought I'd be "smart" and update the blog. I was so scared that I messed something up, that I almost had a meltdown. Thankfully, I just "walked backward" and fixed whatever I effed up. But I learned my lesson to never touch a wizard's work.

Appreciate you more with each passing blogoversary. :)

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home