Warm Cookies With A Whiskey Chaser

The Perfect Mix of Comfort and Shenanigans



Blogroll Me!
100 Things About Me
Tinmen Don't Dance
Humble Sandwich
A Son from Another Mother; Matt
Auburn Pisces
Splenda In The Grass
the bokey chronicles
Jeffrey Ricker
TunaGirl
Rocket Man
The Beauty of All Things
GuruStu
No Milk Please
A Life In The Day
Shadow Footprints
Scott B Blog
Seth Hancock Photography
Frogma
MzOuiser
Famous Author Rob Byrnes
Watersea's Ocean Bloggie
Cheap Blue Guitar
Does This Mean I'm A Grownup?
Upside Down Hippo
NoFo
Loose Ends

Thursday, June 17, 2004

A Little Privacy, Please?

It's the last day of school for The Grommet and Caris, and so their schedules are different. I took Bryson to school at 8:00 while Caris slept in. Then at 10:00, I took Caris.

When we got into the van and I pulled out of the driveway, I noticed out of the corner of my eye, a little dove laying in the grass near the curb across the street. I quickly looked over to make sure of what I saw, and sure enough, the dove was leaned over on its side with one wing in the air. My heart started to race and I could feel a sense of panic, but I didn't want to alarm Caris. If I told her there was a hurt bird lying on the ground, it would upset her and then she wouldn't be able to enjoy her last day of school. She'd be like me and cry. I decided to be upset on my own and keep it to myself, but I drove quickly, so that I could get back. As I drove, I was making a checklist in my head:

1. Get a box out of the garage and put a small towel in the bottom.
2. Find a pair of gloves to pick the dove up.
3. Call Shanny's vet and see what I should do.
4. Drive safely and try not to panic.

I dropped Caris off at school, wished her a happy last day, and headed back home. We only live about 3 miles from the high school, so it wasn't more than 10 minutes had passed since I saw the little hurt dove. I prayed that the neighbor's cat hadn't seen him before I could get there.

Charlie would think I was crazy. I can't help it. Last year, when the sparrows came, yet again, to build nests in the raingutter under our patio cover, we tried in vain to save eggs when the rains threatened to drown them. Averie and I have stood on chairs to try to help chicks out of the water, using mirrors to see over the tall ledge. Caris and I have made nest boxes hoping that the Mama and Papa birds will chose that instead. We've saved a couple of them in the past two springs, but so many more have been lost. We know those surviving babies are the ones who return to now make nests of their own. But we keep trying to block them from building nests in the raingutter because the loss of just one is so sad. Yeah, the kids tease me because my favorite channel is Animal Planet. Except for Croc Hunter. Something's wrong with that guy. But, if that's the worst of what I get teased about, I can handle it.

As I drive toward my house, I slow down and look over in the grass by the curb to see if the dove is still there. Sure enough, he was still there, and he raised his wing high again. I pulled into the driveway and quickly ran into the house calling for Averie.

Me: Ave! I need your help. There's a hurt bird across the street!

Averie: Are you sure?

Me: Yes. He was there when I left to take Caris to school, and he's still there with his wing up in the air. I think his wing is broken. (running to garage to get a box)
See if you can find me a pair of gloves.

Averie: There's some rubber gloves in the first aid kit. (she meets me at the front door)

As we walk across the street, both of us talking about what the next step should be, Averie spots the bird, who is looking very nervous at our approach, and she begins to ask again...

Averie: Are you SURE he's hurt?

Me: Well why would he lie there like that with his wing up in the air?

Averie: Maybe that's his funky mating dance.

Me: Oh please Ave....

Just then, the dove spread both of his lovely wings and flew off in a whole and healthy way. A wave of relief rushed over me. I was happy he was fine. I looked over at Averie, who was smiling in an "I told you so" kinda way.

Me: Hmmm. I guess you were right. Now I feel like I put a big damper on his love life.

He'll probably poop on my car.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home