Warm Cookies With A Whiskey Chaser

The Perfect Mix of Comfort and Shenanigans



Blogroll Me!
100 Things About Me
Tinmen Don't Dance
Humble Sandwich
A Son from Another Mother; Matt
Auburn Pisces
Splenda In The Grass
the bokey chronicles
Jeffrey Ricker
TunaGirl
Rocket Man
The Beauty of All Things
GuruStu
No Milk Please
A Life In The Day
Shadow Footprints
Scott B Blog
Seth Hancock Photography
Frogma
MzOuiser
Famous Author Rob Byrnes
Watersea's Ocean Bloggie
Cheap Blue Guitar
Does This Mean I'm A Grownup?
Upside Down Hippo
NoFo
Loose Ends

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

What's In A Name?

It's funny, I've been to two blogs today where I've found entries about names. I've always been pretty serious about the name business. My given name is Renee and Pua is part of my long, Hawaiian middle name. But I've always clung to the name Puamakana since I was a little girl. To this day, when someone says my name, it gives me a very warm feeling. It makes me feel loved and special. It may mean nothing to those around me, or to those who use it to address me, but for me, it's a hug from afar.

Special care was taken in giving that name to me, and I, along with Charlie, have given that same care to the naming of our children. We may kid around and say..."Yeah, we gave them names that began with A, B, and C on purpose. But the alphabet stops there!" Truth be told, their middle names are longer than my own with meanings that run deeper than I can even begin to explain here. Like me, those names didn't mean much to them when they were little, but I think now, as they are older, those names are beginning to hold so much more meaning to them. Though I may call them by silly endearments at times, I often remember that their given names reflect a culture that is so rich in tradition and pride. I feel, in that sense, that we've given them something much more than just a moniker for people to use when addressing them.

From Zenchick's blog, a got this:

PPainful
UUnforgettable
AAwesome
MMystical
AAwkward
KKinky
AAwesome
NNaive
AArty

Name / Username:


Name Acronym Generator
From Go-Quiz.com

Interestingly enough, the very first letter brings up a word I did not expect, but one that made me stop and go.."Wow". I didn't take it to mean that I, myself, am a painful person, though some may disagree. I instantly took that to mean that I've had painful times, not unlike anyone else. It's just intriguing to me that it's the very first letter. Beyond that, I get "awesome" twice. I know it's a silly little quiz-game meant for entertainment, but there's some kind of karmic truth in it. Though some of the descriptive choices in the acronym make me blush a little, I can't argue with them too much. I can't speak about the "K" word because my girls tell me it grosses them out that their mom thinks or does certain things. Yep, I can be awkward and naive at times. I try to hide it, but sometimes, that's just not possible. All in all, after doing this exercize, which was meant for entertainment purposes only (an unnecessary disclaimer), I couldn't help but think deeper considering all the name type topics that have come up in my life of late.

Is there something in a name? Without question. Yes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home