Warm Cookies With A Whiskey Chaser

The Perfect Mix of Comfort and Shenanigans



Blogroll Me!
100 Things About Me
Tinmen Don't Dance
Humble Sandwich
A Son from Another Mother; Matt
Auburn Pisces
Splenda In The Grass
the bokey chronicles
Jeffrey Ricker
TunaGirl
Rocket Man
The Beauty of All Things
GuruStu
No Milk Please
A Life In The Day
Shadow Footprints
Scott B Blog
Seth Hancock Photography
Frogma
MzOuiser
Famous Author Rob Byrnes
Watersea's Ocean Bloggie
Cheap Blue Guitar
Does This Mean I'm A Grownup?
Upside Down Hippo
NoFo
Loose Ends

Monday, June 14, 2004

Lifetime Party

When Charlie and I met in 1980, one of the first things we ever talked about was music. That's not untypical for people who are trying to get to know each other. This topic is one of many you come up with in the "small talk" stage of new relationships.

On our first date, he told me that he loved the Doobie Brothers, Herb Alpert, and Chicago. All musicians that I loved as well. As he continued, he said to me quite matter-of-factly; "Oh and of course I really like Kalapana, Seawind, and C & K." He said it as if I knew who he was talking about. I guess he assumed that since I was from Hawaii, I would know. Unfortunately, I became the quintessential "haole" girl when I moved to California and I cut off my polynesian ties. I didn't want to surf anymore, I didn't want to dance hula anymore. And I certainly didn't want to listen to Hawaiian music. I was a Led, Dead, and Parrot Head. I'm sure it was a defense mechanism to protect my damaged heart. If I just cut my Hawaiian memories out, it wouldn't hurt so much that I was forced to come to the mainland against my will. So when Charlie said to me that he loved these local Hawaiian musicians, I just stared at him blankly.

Charlie: You know C & K don't you...Cecilio and Kapono?

Me: Um...nope.

Charlie: (shocked expression) God. We have to fix that.

He pulled out a cassette tape and popped it into his car stereo. Soon the beautiful sound of "About You" filled his car.

About You
Cecilio & Kapono

I know everything I have to know about you
And I'm not sure I really want to go without you
Our small moment that we shared
Is only yours and mine
No one else is really going to know
That I care about you

And all the questions that I asked myself about you
Give me answers that don't make me want to doubt you
Won't you come and be with me
And then I think you'll know
That if you come and stay you're going to see
That I care about you

Won't you be a high for me
Take my hand and fly with me
Don't want you to cry for me at all
Would you sing your song to me
Tell me you belong with me
Tell me it's okay for me to fall

All the things you tell me with your eyes about you
And all it helped to make me realize I want you
Won't you come and help make up my mind
You know it's up to you
Follow me, I know that you will find
That I care about you
About you

From that moment on, that became "our song". It was played at our wedding, we danced to it as our first dance, and in the subsequent 24 years, we still put the song on and cuddle to it. I came to know C & K, Kalapana, and other Hawaiian artists as if they were my friends. I learned the hula to all of their most popular tunes, and I shared our love for C & K with the kids. All this, thanks to my haole boyfriend who had never even been to Hawaii at the time. We went to C & K concerts together with friends whenever they came into town. Then babies happened and we didn't go out as much as we used to...money was always so tight.

Last month, Ron told us that C & K was coming to town and he wanted to know if we wanted to go to a concert. We jumped at it. The last time we saw them together was in 1983 at the historic Golden Bear in Huntington Beach. It brings great memories because the Golden Bear, which once featured headliners like Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, and Stevie Ray Vaughn, was torn down in 1984....a victim of "progress" and restructuring. But back in the day, EVERYONE played the Bear.

So on Saturday, we went to the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano. The Coach House is an intimate venue, much like the Golden Bear was. I was excited. So excited. When they took the stage I could hardly stand it. I was again transported back to those "dating Charlie" days. When things were new, lighthearted, and exciting. When they started to sing all the old songs, I sang along. Just like everyone else in the concert hall. And then, when they started to sing "About You", Charlie reached over and squeezed my hand. I cried. It was just such a happy feeling.

Yeah Henry Kapono and Cecilio Rodriguez look older. But none of us cared because so do we. It was like seeing long lost friends again and jamming to songs that brought the good feelings. And Charlie always likes to remind me that HE was the one that introduced me to them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home