Warm Cookies With A Whiskey Chaser

The Perfect Mix of Comfort and Shenanigans



Blogroll Me!
100 Things About Me
Tinmen Don't Dance
Humble Sandwich
A Son from Another Mother; Matt
Auburn Pisces
Splenda In The Grass
the bokey chronicles
Jeffrey Ricker
TunaGirl
Rocket Man
The Beauty of All Things
GuruStu
No Milk Please
A Life In The Day
Shadow Footprints
Scott B Blog
Seth Hancock Photography
Frogma
MzOuiser
Famous Author Rob Byrnes
Watersea's Ocean Bloggie
Cheap Blue Guitar
Does This Mean I'm A Grownup?
Upside Down Hippo
NoFo
Loose Ends

Wednesday, October 29, 2003

The Good in between The Bad

As the fires continue to rage through the Southland, I find myself wondering what I can possibly do. It's a helpless feeling. You want to do something..anything, as you watch the horror on tv. People in shelters without places to live. Animals displaced. The thoughts race through my brain about what I would take, if I had to evacuate. I keep saying to the kids that things can be replaced. Pictures can't. It's all I would want. Pictures. Of course, it's easy to say that when right now, it doesn't effect us. Other than the inability to take a deep breath of clean air. Other than having to rinse the car off everytime you want to go somewhere because you can't see through the ash on the windshield. Other than that everything smells like campfire. These are small inconveniences compared to the loss of your home, perhaps the loss of a loved one. Prayers go up in the absence of the ability to do more. I'll go through the pantry and gather some food. I'll go to the store and get some needed things for temporary shelters. I whine about being unemployed for now. But this is bigger than that. It puts things in perspective. These are the days where, unless you're a complete ass (and there ARE many in this world), you find your attitude of gratitude.

On the bright side of the street; they called! At 2:00 yesterday afternoon, the phone rang. I could hear Averie softly answer, "Yes, this is she." As the minutes passed, her calm demeanor changed to a tone of excitement. I looked over to her as she paced in the dining room, from my seat on the living room couch. I gave her the "who is it?" look. I mouthed the words "It's them, isn't it?" With the receiver still attached to her head and a huge smile on her face, she nodded afirmation. The Ellen Degeneres Show is calling. She's made it to the finals of "Find a Girlfriend for Jeff." After a decently long conversation with Ellen's staff member Vikki, Averie politely thanks her, hangs up, and before the receiver is actually down on the telephone base, Averie and I are jumping and screaming! I think the screaming and jumping actually went on for a good minute...maybe two. She catches her breath and calms down enough to tell me that out of the 1200 emails they have received from "eligible" bachelorettes, they've narrowed it down to 25, and she is one of the 25. She's to come to the studio today (Wednesday) at 2pm (woohoooo! VIP!), "camera ready", for a "mixer" and to meet Jeff (Ellen's Personal Assistant). Vikki told her that her email was very funny and she said that she just "HAD" to call THIS girl! Of course. That's my amazingly talented, bright, funny, articulate, beautiful offspring.

And Averie, just so you know without a doubt....you ARE a rare find and Jeff would be crazy not to notice you. Whether he does or not, it doesn't change a thing. You rule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home