Warm Cookies With A Whiskey Chaser

The Perfect Mix of Comfort and Shenanigans



Blogroll Me!
100 Things About Me
Tinmen Don't Dance
Humble Sandwich
A Son from Another Mother; Matt
Auburn Pisces
Splenda In The Grass
the bokey chronicles
Jeffrey Ricker
TunaGirl
Rocket Man
The Beauty of All Things
GuruStu
No Milk Please
A Life In The Day
Shadow Footprints
Scott B Blog
Seth Hancock Photography
Frogma
MzOuiser
Famous Author Rob Byrnes
Watersea's Ocean Bloggie
Cheap Blue Guitar
Does This Mean I'm A Grownup?
Upside Down Hippo
NoFo
Loose Ends

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Us Two

I grew up kinda lonely. Yes, I had my brother Skip, and my sister Wanda. But, they were pretty much already on their own by the time I was 6 or 7, so for much of my life, I considered myself an only child. Because my father was in the Navy, we moved around quite a lot. Making friends was difficult for me. I had them, but I knew they wouldn't be a part of my life for long. Therefore, I guarded my heart so as not to have it break every two or three years. As a result, I became a bit of a loner and it was easy for me to find my friends in books. In this way, I had many friends, and when we moved, they moved with me. Two of my best friends, thanks to A. A. Milne, were Christopher Robin and Winnie the Pooh.

"Us Two" was basically a valentine from Christopher to Pooh. When I was in 5th grade, I memorized it. It touched me in a way I couldn't even begin to impart. Even more alone than usual after a devastating accident that left me physically and emotionally scarred, I spent 8 weeks at home recovering. I clung to my books, ney; my friends. In the deepest, darkest places though I might have found myself some days, these few words between a child and his favorite stuffed, but more alive than anyone could know, bear, brought me to a place of light. I'm not so much alone anymore, and I've been blessed abundantly in so many ways. Still, sometimes it can get lonely in my head. But the words of a "friend" written so long ago, still brings me that childlike light and makes me smile.

Sometimes, I still run these words, from the last stanza of "Us Two" through my head. It reminds me how lucky I am that I'm never alone. My "Pooh" these days, might not be a chubby little cubby, all stuffed with fluff (Resist urge to put something snarky here). But then again, I've had the very same valentine for 31.5 years and I think Pooh would agree that that's a very good thing.

So wherever I am, there's always Pooh.
There's always Pooh and Me.
'What would I do?' I said to Pooh.
'If it wasn't for you,' And Pooh said:
'True,
It isn't much fun for One, but Two
Can stick together,' says Pooh, says he.
'That's how it is,' says Pooh.

~from "Us Two" by A.A. Milne