Warm Cookies With A Whiskey Chaser

The Perfect Mix of Comfort and Shenanigans



Blogroll Me!
100 Things About Me
Tinmen Don't Dance
Humble Sandwich
A Son from Another Mother; Matt
Auburn Pisces
Splenda In The Grass
the bokey chronicles
Jeffrey Ricker
TunaGirl
Rocket Man
The Beauty of All Things
GuruStu
No Milk Please
A Life In The Day
Shadow Footprints
Scott B Blog
Seth Hancock Photography
Frogma
MzOuiser
Famous Author Rob Byrnes
Watersea's Ocean Bloggie
Cheap Blue Guitar
Does This Mean I'm A Grownup?
Upside Down Hippo
NoFo
Loose Ends

Thursday, August 12, 2004

Is an order of French Fries too much to ask for?

Ok, it's quite possible I'm PMS'ing. I hate saying that, because so many people, especially men, roll their eyes and say that's a female cop out. But guess what? I'm thinking it's for real. Either that or I'm just a bitch. Shut up.

I should be out in the work world. I really should. Financially, I know the burden is piling up on Charlie. I worry about him. He's a quiet sufferer. He doesn't complain. But I know it's hard.

Over the last year of my being unemployed, we've made some big sacrifices. The timing is such that here I am, without a steady income coming in to help defray family expenses, BUT, Charlie's mom needs someone around all the time. That someone has turned out to be me. In between taking care of the Mum-in-law, I've fallen right back into the "At-Home Mom" scene with a vengence. Wherever they need me, I'm there. And now, with Caris doing background work for tv and movies, I want to be the one making sure she's safe while she's pursuing her dream. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; I REALLY thought that as teenagers, they'd need me less. But it's not true. If anything, they need me more. As much as I envy their lives, because they're SO much more blessed than I was, I wouldn't be a teen again for anything. It's too hard. But let's get back to me, dammit.

So, Monday; the day is spent on set with Caris. It's a long day and they don't "wrap" until 13 hours after we actually arrive. Then the long drive home. Tired. (Shameless Mom-type Plug: episode airs Sept. 20, CBS, Still Standing)

Tuesday; drop Bry off at summer school, take Caris to the DMV for her Driver's test, and then Mum-in-law babysitting the rest of the day.

Wednesday, drop Bry off at summer school, pick up school registration packages for Caris and Bryson, go make breakfast for Mum-in-law, pick up Bry. Back to Mum-in-law babysitting. All day.

Last night, I wanted to be home before Charlie got home so that I could make dinner for him. But I didn't make it. Mum had a little accident with her dinner, so I stayed and helped her clean up, made round two of dinner, and finally, at 5:30 pm, I kissed her forehead and left her, happily napping in her chair.

When I got home, bless his heart, Charlie was waiting for me with a JD and Coke (God, I needed it!) and we sat for a few minutes and talked about the day. He thanked me for my hard work with Mum and then he said the magic words;

Charlie: Would you like me to go pick up something for dinner?

Pua: I love you. I REALLY love you.

Charlie: What would you like?

Pua: Just go to McDonald's. The kids will be fine with that, and it's close.

Charlie: Ok, what would YOU like?

Pua: I'd like a cheeseburger and small fries.

Charlie: Be right back.

Thirty minutes later, he's back and hands me a small sack. I open it. It's a cheeseburger. No fries. I look at him. He's chowing down on a chicken sandwich. He looks at me...

Charlie: What?

Pua: I'd like a cheeseburger and small fries.

Charlie: Oh shit! I'm sorry. You did say that didn't you?

Pua: I'd like a cheeseburger and small fries. Is that hard? A cheeseburger and small fries.

Charlie: I'll go get it right now.

Pua: No, nevermind. I'll just have another drink to make up for it.

When he comes back with my drink, he starts to tell me about his day. But I can't hear him. All I can hear is my own voice saying; "Twenty-four years of cheeseburger and small fries and he still can't get it. Is that so much to ask?" I also hear myself calling myself a lot of horrible names because I honestly can't get back to hearing what he's saying. I'm tired, cranky, I have french fries on the brain and a pissy voice in my head saying, "Twenty-four years of cheeseburger and small fries and he still can't get it."

Yeah, I'm a bitch. A PMS-ing bitch who wants fries.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home