Warm Cookies With A Whiskey Chaser

The Perfect Mix of Comfort and Shenanigans



Blogroll Me!
100 Things About Me
Tinmen Don't Dance
Humble Sandwich
A Son from Another Mother; Matt
Auburn Pisces
Splenda In The Grass
the bokey chronicles
Jeffrey Ricker
TunaGirl
Rocket Man
The Beauty of All Things
GuruStu
No Milk Please
A Life In The Day
Shadow Footprints
Scott B Blog
Seth Hancock Photography
Frogma
MzOuiser
Famous Author Rob Byrnes
Watersea's Ocean Bloggie
Cheap Blue Guitar
Does This Mean I'm A Grownup?
Upside Down Hippo
NoFo
Loose Ends

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Dancing Partners

Yesterday, while I was standing in line at the pharmacy...yes, that's right, waiting for drugs,...I noticed I was swaying. No, I wasn't feeling woozy or faint. I wasn't trying to impress the other sickies standing in line with me with my oh so fabulousness at hula. I was just standing there, patiently (okay, not so patiently) waiting, and swaying to and fro. It wasn't an obvious movement. Just a slight shifting of weight from one foot to another in a liquid kind of quiet sway.

It's not the first time I've noticed that I do this. I took note that I did this while I was standing in line at the post office, or while I was waiting for my turn at the ATM machine. Everywhere I have to stand in a line and wait, I sway. I know why I sway. Every mother knows why I sway. It's all those years of walking the floor with a sick baby. It's all those sleepless nights watching the clock tick away while you try and calm a crying infant with constant, soothing movement. And now, even YEARS after my last baby, without so much as an inconsolable welp in my arms, I still sway. Now I know that I simply go into "calming sway mode" when I have to stand in a line and wait. A queue is the signal for me. If I have to wait, I sway. It's not something I even think about. It just happens.

Last night, I had to go with Charlie to pick up Averie's car at the repair shop. I still wasn't feeling that great and I was in my jammies, so I thought it best to just wait in the car. I could see him through the window of the shop; standing in line, waiting. After a few minutes, I noticed the beginnings of a slow, liquid sway as he shifted his weight from foot to foot. I smiled. We learned that dance together he and I. It made me realize how lucky I was that he was the kind of husband who didn't let me take care of all those sleepless crying/sick baby nights by myself. He was my dancing partner through every long, feverish, ear-achy, teething, coughing, long swaying night. And all these years later, I can't think of a better dancing partner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home