Warm Cookies With A Whiskey Chaser

The Perfect Mix of Comfort and Shenanigans



Blogroll Me!
100 Things About Me
Tinmen Don't Dance
Humble Sandwich
A Son from Another Mother; Matt
Auburn Pisces
Splenda In The Grass
the bokey chronicles
Jeffrey Ricker
TunaGirl
Rocket Man
The Beauty of All Things
GuruStu
No Milk Please
A Life In The Day
Shadow Footprints
Scott B Blog
Seth Hancock Photography
Frogma
MzOuiser
Famous Author Rob Byrnes
Watersea's Ocean Bloggie
Cheap Blue Guitar
Does This Mean I'm A Grownup?
Upside Down Hippo
NoFo
Loose Ends

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

I shouldn't be surprised...

but I am. I always try to think the best of people. I keep my faith in humankind up. Sometimes it's on hold. Right now, it's pretty much been stomped into a coma.

Last Saturday, dress rehearsal run-through's for the play commenced. In the process of Audrey II (pic is for reference only) consuming Mr. Mushnik, the amount of care that would be required to keep Audrey II's jaws from snapping (yet again) was not applied, and she then needed some major medical. So, Charlie, being the great guy (and fabulous engineer that he is) volunteered to bring that GIGANTIC venus fly-trap home and repair her. So, all of the morning and the entire day on Monday were spent making Audrey II a new jaw so she could again devour the CMHS drama department. All's well. You would think.

Last night, while Caris was at drama, someone opened her purse and stole a hard-earned $130 in cash. Money she was either going to use for a prom dress, or for spending money for New York. After the initial shock of finding that money missing, she went into secondary shock. The only ones that could have taken it were drama kids. Her friends. The kids she spends countless hours with. The ones she "trusted". The same kids that she has known and worked with on so many productions. It's devastating.

Then I thought about my last entry. The "Everyone Does It" kids. It doesn't matter who the money belonged to. Whoever took it wasn't thinking.."Oh this is Caris' purse. I can't hurt Caris like that." They didn't care. They saw money, and that's all it took. I've often told the kids not to take money to school for just this reason. And granted, the reason she had that money with her was because she and I had just been out looking for a prom dress and then I took her directly from there to drama practice. So I carry some of that blame. But God Almighty, if you can't trust the friends that you spend nearly every waking moment with...from sun up to sundown..who do you place your trust in?

I hurt for her. It's a cold, hard reality that you can misplace your trust. I hurt also because we spend so much time helping these kids out too. Fixing Audrey II wasn't cheap, and the hours that it took to repair her could have been spent other, more pleasureable Mother's Day type ways. Whoever took that money didn't need it. They just couldn't resist the urge. Yet, they never EVER think what hurt they leave behind. In the teachable moment, I can only say to my own kids, "Please remember how hurt and angry and upset you are so that you won't ever inflict that pain on someone else." And to that person who took what doesn't belong to you, I can only say, I hope it was worth it to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home